Tuesday 22 October 2013

Always a bookworm...

This year, in hopes that it would encourage me to read more, I have been writing down each and every novel that I finish.  So far my count sadly remains under thirty, but I have a little while still to go and if I stop choosing such elaborately long fiction, I might make it to a respectable fifty.  

I have always thought that one of the best, and the worst, things about reading fiction is the surprise of finding a piece of literature that completely grips you and proves itself to be worth recommending.  The downside of this, is how few and far between these gems often prove to be.

Having recently struck lucky in my local library, I thought I would share this one with you all, as I know only too well, the struggle of finding something good to read.  In my opinion, too many trashy 'chick-lit' novels are published and flood our bookstore shelves like a plague, leaving such a small gap for the works of writers with genuine value, but I digress.


 "One Night in Winter' by Simon Sebag Montefiore appealed to me, as I have harboured an interest in Russian history since my endless years at senior school.  Add to that a dash of crime, the possibility of murder and some unexpected twists and I'm completely sold.  Written stylishly, with the confidence of an author who knows his subject inside out, the novel has a fast paced and addictive plot, which I found myself struggling to tear myself away from.  So as not to spoil the intriguing series of events that leave you rushing to turn the next page, I will end here, simply imploring you to get your hands on a copy as soon as humanly possible.  (Buy on Amazon here.)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting