Monday 27 January 2014

Reading in Progress


I recently wrote about my 52 books in a year challenge.  Well, I'm pleased to announce that so far I'm on track.  Currently on my fifth novel of 2014, I thought I would post a review of the fiction that I have read so far, as I'm sure that later in the year it could be a little harder to recall all of the details (especially if I get close to the fifty mark). 

1) Chasing The Dead - Tim Weaver

This thriller was definitely a good way to start the year.  Easy to read, it had a fast plot and several important twists.  The ending was a little disappointing, but realistic I suppose.  While I enjoyed the book, I can't honestly say that I will be pursuing others in the David Raker series, but enjoyed it nonetheless.  



2) The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson

Last year, one of the novels that surprised me most was The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.  Rachel Joyce's work of fiction was quirky and so easy to like.  As The Hundred Year Old Man seemed to be of a similar nature, I had high expectations and was rather let down.  The chapters largely alternated between Allan's present exploits and his past adventures, and therein lay the problem.  I found that the imagined past of the protagonist was overly laden with historical facts and proved rather dull.  Rather disappointing. 






3) Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

Years ago I was thoroughly impressed with Gregory Maguire's debut adult novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, so I was impressed that the writer managed to revive another classic fairy tale with equal success.  Maguire's writing is unusual, whimsical and highly entertaining, making a nice change from my usual reading choices.  

4) You're Mine Now - Hans Koppel
 
One of the best books I have ever been bought was Hans Koppel's twisted thriller She's Never Coming Back, so I was excited to see another of his works on the Kobo store.  You're Mine Now made me eager for Koppel's next literary release.  Although it was not as gruesome as his previous novel, it was equally as tense and kept me gripped into the small hours of the morning before sleep eventually won. 


I am now currently reading Dorothy Koomson's The Flavours of Love (another crime novel, I know) and will write again soon with regards to the remaining 47 books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting