Wednesday 25 May 2011

My month as a PR Intern comes to a close...


Week 4: 25th May

Tomorrow is my last day and I can’t believe how quickly the four weeks have gone.  I will be sad to leave The Clear Agency, just as I feel I’ve really got the hang of it and been given more responsibility.  It has also been really refreshing to work in an environment that is relaxed whilst still being highly productive, and where the people are so genuinely nice.    
Last Friday, Tony, the director, said that for my last week I should be doing something more worthwhile so that they can make use of my skills.  Since then, I have been working on a website called Global Searchlight which is another company owned by the guys in the office.  It’s basically like a dating website for the fashion industry; it matches brands, agents, distributors, PR companies etc. so that they can form successful business partnerships.  The company has been slightly neglected since they have been focussing on the Clear Agency – my job has been to advise them on what to tell their web designer with regards to redesigning the site to make it look modern and professional.  (Very grateful for my graphics A level at the moment!)  They have also entrusted me with re-writing all of the content on the website… no pressure.  I have really appreciated the opportunity to do more than just calling people – I have heard some hideously dull tales of work experience within PR agencies, so these four weeks have been a real stroke of luck.

My other main duty this week has been to create and mail out e-mail alerts to let magazine staff know about new styles/ prints/ trends etc. in the hopes that they will call the items in to feature in their publication.  I’ve been getting really good responses from them which has been really rewarding.  Since I have been speaking to various fashion assistants over the past few weeks, they now recognise me and the main brand that I have been trying to get publicity for, making my life so much easier.  Not only have I got several magazines calling in or requesting high-res images one week after the other, but I have also introduced new people to Brat & Suzie, who will also be using them for the pieces which they are currently working on.  

Although I recognise that I have been very fortunate to land myself such an enjoyable internship, as the weeks have passed I have realised that PR isn’t just a fall back to journalism; the equivalent of the guy you meet and could get on with but really don’t feel much for.  Instead, it’s definitely a serious contender for my future… it might just be ‘the one’.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting